Friday, March 2, 2012

Knitting


I haven't knitted in forever and only tried it awhile, so minimal ability at best. But I love the look of knitting and maybe if I practice can work up to socks. It's actually fun and I'm just making a simple washcloth first. I'm using Bernat cotton yarn. I was lucky enough to find a big roll of it on sale around Christmas at Joannes. I like this cotton, I usually use Sugar n Cream yarn for washcloths.

P.S. (and no snickering from knitters). :D

UPDATE: I now have a little square, now what do I do? LOL Okay, I'm looking it up in my book. So, I see this uses my right hand pinkie and ring finger more, they're actually a little sore. Those muscles will build up and I'm working on not using the tip of my lefthand index finger and thumb to move the needle along when doing a stitch. So, crocheting with my right hand uses my wrist more and knitting my finger muscles get worked more. Also I can use the needles for defense if I'm taking my work out of the house, ha ha, jk. I always thought if I ever started knitting, I could use little needles and when not in use, could put my hair up with them. Then I thought it would be a bad idea, because I'd probably poke myself somehow. ;P

So, I cast off and have two left over, I wasn't sure what to do. I was afraid I had to do something special to end off these last two and my book only told how to cast them off, not how to work the last stitch. ~eyes rolling~ Do you see why I'm a googleholic? What did I do before the internet? ~sigh~

Alrighty then, so I find a binding off video, YAY! I got this now... (I'm sighing again), it only shows the binding off, not what to do with the last stitch. Finally a youtube video and...well hello, that was simple, just cut off from...wait a minute...she said, "just bind off the last stitch and cut the yarn and pull it through".

I'm now holding my head down and shaking it, she did it supersonic fast, I swear, I think she even sped up the last of the video. LOL Then another video and just how to bind off... sooo finally, a youtube that showed how, slowly and saw it through. Yes! I know it was so simple, but I was afraid if I just pulled off that last stitch, I'd lose the stitch and all that for nothing. I wanted to do it right. Note to self: Do not bind off so tight.


Now I have a curly piece. From reading around, I think because I, knit one, purl one, etc, it curled. I guess I'll just sc around it and see how that goes. Anyway, I had a good time knitting that piece and I'm going to do more, knitting is very pretty.

ANOTHER UPDATE... It's finished, I made a border, two rows of sc and it's good to go. I'm tickled with it. :D



2 comments:

happyone said...

Try this pattern. It doesn't curl up.
Cast on 3 stitches.
Row 1: (RS). K
Row 2 : K1. Inc 1 st in next st. Knit to end of row.
Rep last row to 53 stitches

Next Row
K2. K2tog. Knit to end of row.
Rep last row to 3 sts. Cast off.

I made mine a little smaller and stopped at 50 stitches before starting to decrease.
The pattern calls for size needle size 9 (US) but I thought that way too big and I've used a size 3 (US).

I use the sugar and creme cotton yarn too and get it on a cone at Wal-Mart. It has 690 yards and costs just under $7.

Winter said...

Thank you so much, the only thing I ever learned when a girlfriend showed me was the k1p1. I'll check that out at Walmart, great deal. Yarn prices sure have increased haven't they? I try to get what I need when they're on sale and I use Joannes coupons.