Sunday, January 15, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Syrup...



Here's the recipe I found...

Pumpkin Spice Syrup


Yield: About 2 1/4 cups syrup
Serving Size: 1/4 cup syrup

* 1 1/2 cups water

* 1 1/2 cups sugar

* 4 cinnamon sticks

* 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

* 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

* 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

* 3 tablespoons pumpkin puree


Heat the water and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring until the sugar is fully dissolved. Use a whisk to stir in the remaining ingredients. Turn down the heat to medium-low and cook for about 6 minutes, stirring frequently. Try not to let the mixture come to a boil.
Place two thick paper towels on top of each other into a fine mesh strainer set over a large measuring cup. Strain the syrup through the paper towel lined strainer. (Cheesecloth and coffee filters work well here, too.) Pour the strained syrup into a storage bottle with a lid and keep in the refrigerator.

To make a hot pumpkin spice latte:
Stir together 1 1/2 tablespoons of syrup to each shot of espresso. Add frothed milk and stir to combine. To make an iced pumpkin spice latte: Stir together 1 1/2 tablespoons of syrup for each shot of espresso, then add desired amount of cold milk. Serve over ice cubes.

To make a pumpkin spice iced coffee:
Stir together 1/2 cup of milk to 1/2 cup toddy (iced coffee), then mix in 1/4 cup syrup. Serve over ice. To make a pumpkin spice blended coffee: Stir together 1/2 cup of milk to 1/2 cup toddy (iced coffee), then mix in 1/4 cup syrup. Pour into a blender, add 2 cups ice and mix until well blended. Optional: Add a teaspoon of white chocolate powder when blending.

I tweaked it, because I've ran out of nutmeg,so I put the same amount of water, sugar and pumpkin, but for the spices, 1 tsp of cinnamon, 1/2 tsp of cloves, 1/2 tsp ginger and a tsp of pumpkin pie spice, whoa, this made it really spicy, love it. I also cooked it 10 minutes on medium heat, but didn't boil and I didn't strain it. I love it, used enough today to not use sugar and just put french vanilla creamor in my coffee. I always keep jars of things I like to use over again, so I put the syrup in a Strawberry syrup jar and a honey jar.

It's also great in tea, makes it tastes like Christmas Tea. I keep the syrup in the refrig, so I heat what I'm going to use for about 10-15 seconds in the microwave. You don't have to, but it will cool down your drink a bit if you're using creamor, also.

No comments: