Sunday, March 9, 2014

Amish White Bread...


I made this Amish bread last night http://allrecipes.com/recipe/amish-white-bread/
I'm on a baking bread kick and going to try different recipes, if anyone has a favorite one, please point me to it. I want to get better at making things like this from scratch. Been a long time since I've baked bread. 
I did change up a couple of things, first I only used one teaspoon of salt, instead of 1 and 1/2 tsp., and mixed it in with the flour so I wouldn't kill any of the yeast. I also only used 1/3 cup of sugar, instead of 2/3, because I didn't want it so sweet. It made two loaves, but I only took a photo of one, couldn't wait, I had to cut into the other one and taste it. Best aroma in a kitchen is baking bread. :)







Have you noticed how long bread lasts in a bag from the store? It wasn't that many years ago after a few days bread would start to mold, now all the preservatives and such in it makes it just get more stale. There's something wrong with that picture and I want to make everything from scratch that I can. We need real food. I'm going to buy everything I can from local farmers in season and start canning and freezing again. Everyone who can, needs to plant a garden. I've been listening to these videos about putting woodchip mulch over the garden in a series of Back to Eden https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM_gtZb8qyk It's organic gardening and awesome.

2 comments:

happyone said...

Picture perfect.
I make bread all the time, but I cheat and use my bread machine. Still it takes good!!

Winter said...

Oh, I have a bread machine. I've not used it, guess I should get out the book and try it. I'm looking for tricks on how to make the bread more fluffy. I think I need to add less flour.