Monday, June 1, 2015

We are fearfully and wonderfully made...

So I've been reading up on farming books, homesteading, some blogs with tons of info, even facebook has places now to join in groups. Right now I'm reading 5 Acres and a Dream, which they also have a blog. I tell you I'm in awe of the talent people have to create and build from practically nothing. It's amazing what people can do and inspire others by reading and seeing it. Whether it's tearing out walls, cooking on woodstoves, canning, working gardens, taking care of animals, crafting or recipes, I love it.

Psalms 139 says... "I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, And my soul knows it very well." It's so encouraging to see people's hard work come to fruition and they share what they've learned. We can do so much more than we think, with determination and hard work it can happen. I've learned so much I have to write things down, and all the old recipes women are sharing is keeping me busy trying them. I really want to get better at working with bread, and crusts.

One thing I don't want to do, but probably will at some point is use a pressure canner, they scare the heck out of me. I think many of us are afraid of them, because when we were kids we heard those stories of exploding canners throwing hot food on ceilings and walls, and when Mama is canning you stay out of the kitchen. I remember peeking around the corner hearing that thing on top shaking and making noise like it was screaming at you to get out. EEK! Now they have new ones that aren't as dangerous, so they say. I think I need to do it sometime just so I can say I conquered a childhood fear. lol 

 I want a woodstove, I remember relatives cooking on woodstoves when I was a kid, now all these things are coming back. Alot of people that can alot are doing it outside, or have another part of the house just for canning and preparing things. I tell you that's ingenious, because when you can in the kitchen it gets so hot, and everyone has to stay out. I've only canned using a waterbath with apples, and strawberries. People are using grills outside, and firepits, some are even making their own brick ovens outside.

 I love electricity, and don't want to be without it, I want air conditioning in the summer, and to watch my old movies on tv. Most of the ones I read have electricity, some don't. They want to be more self sufficient, I respect that, and there's so much to learn in alternative ways of energy. We are so dependent on technology now, it doesn't hurt to learn whether you ever use it or not.


No comments: